Things to do in the area
Explore the area before or after the Reunion
The reunion is in October, the beautiful fall colors are scheduled to make themselves available for viewing. There is so much to see and do in North Carolina. Our Reunion location is located right on beautiful Lake Norman in Catawaba County and its only about 35 miles to Charlotte. Here are some areas and locations you may want to explore in your free time.
- Lake Norman State Park: The lake is the largest manmade lake in North Carolina with over 500 miles of shoreline. There’s a visitor center with educational exhibits, park rangers offer interpretive programs, and the kids will enjoy exploring the Dragonfly Trail. And how long has it been since you picnicked on a sandy beach by the cool waters of a mountain lake?
- Zootastic Park: This home to exotic animals is only about 20 minutes from Dogwood. This walk-around also offers wagon rides (weather permitting) as a way to see a large variety of animals. Lions and tigers and bears, oh my!
- Memory Lane Motorsports and Historical Automotive Museum: This Classic Antique Car and NASCAR Museum is just 10 miles and a thousand light years away from Camp Dogwood. The Museum features over 150 vehicles on display and exhibits also include a movie museum, toy museum and a history museum.
- North Carolina Auto Racing Hall of Fame: Die-hard race fans and novices alike can appreciate the authentic stock cars and drag racers, while learning about the fascinating stories behind them, and the drivers who made them famous! Displays and memorabilia include historic racing moments from racing and NASCAR legends, from both past and present. All this is just about 12 miles from Dogwood.
- Terrell Country Store: Only about 5 minutes from our reunion location, you’ll find the Terrell Country Store. The old corner store now sells antiques and collectables. So, if you’re looking for something unique - from traditional musical instruments to vintage lighting or from folk art to fireman hats – then this place is for you.
- The Historical Association of Catawba County: Several historic sites, all located just miles from Dogwood. These include: Bunker Hill Covered Bridge, built in 1895, this is one of two remaining wooden covered bridges in North Carolina; Harper House/Hickory History Center, a Queen Anne style home constructed in 1897 which has recently undergone a $2 million restoration; History Museum of Catawaba County, located in the old courthouse building in nearby Newton, the museum tells the stories of the early settlers to the area; and at Murry’s Hill Historic District, you can take a self-guided tour in the rolling countryside of Catawba County, and see the current 1913 mill located on Balls Creek.
- Downtown Hickory, North Carolina: Lots of shopping opportunities await in Downtown Hickory, a pleasant 30-mile drive away. Known for furniture shops, there’s also pottery studios, boutiques, restaurants, and during October, there is a musical Oktoberfest (dates to be determined for 2019).
- Wineries and Brewhouses: Too many to mention individually here, but if you want to taste the local refreshments, then the Lake Norman area has an excellent set of choice locations. Touch or click to view a map which will give you an idea of the available options
Things to do while in the Charlotte area
Subscribe to our email announcements